Relationships between SME owners last 5 times longer than the national average
A new study Reveals that couples who pay together, live together, research shows that the relationship between those who currently run or run runs with their partner lasts 5 times longer than the national average.
This compares the national average of 2 years, 9 months for those who run the business together for 11 years, 4 months.
The survey found that about four out of five people say their relationship is stronger because of running a business together, and the same number think the character traits needed to run a business with a partner are the same as those based on a strong personal relationship.
When asked why working together benefits their relationship, more than three-quarters agree that they see their partner’s best qualities in running a business together. Three out of five say they are attracted to their partner’s business acumen, while about two-thirds say the arguments end quickly because they need to focus on their business.
Buckinghamshire-based relationship coach James Pryce reflects on GoDaddy’s research and offers five tips to couples who might be considering starting their own venture:
- Schedule regular conversations – The secret of any successful relationship is healthy and frequent communication. Whether you need feedback on your work or want to chat about what happened that day, open and honest communication is essential to your well-being.
- Place each other – Taking time for yourself is essential to maintaining your prudence and peace of mind. Giving your partner a chance to miss you will help your connection. Encourage their friends to see or participate in sports and activities that do not involve you. This means you will talk more later.
- Be each other’s cheerleaders – Constantly remind yourself that you are both on the same team. Don’t allow each other or feel like you’re competing and celebrating each other’s little wins and accomplishments. That way you will grow together and strengthen your relationship.
- Leave work behind – Make a deal that once you stop working you both stop for days. Don’t talk about problems or focus on anything negative. If you want to work from home, try to dedicate an area only for work. Your home should be a safe place where you can relax and unwind.
- Don’t forget to date – Even though you are always together, you need to make time for a quality time together as a couple. Try arranging a date night once a week where you go out somewhere new or try a new activity. It keeps things exciting and gives you something to look forward to as well as work.
“Work and home are often seen as mutually exclusive lifestyles, but that can’t be further from the truth,” Pres said. “Actually, working together can be a great way to strengthen your relationship. When you are able to successfully balance work and family responsibilities, it can show your partner that you value their contribution to your life.”
GoDaddy customer and couple Chris and Sarah Frere and Suzy and Daniel Smith shared the following observations about living and working together:
Chris and Sarah Frere, owners of Magpie, said: “Doing business together is not without its challenges, but we have seen how working together as a couple has strengthened our bond. We have become more honest because we know each other very well, and by working together we have learned how to support each other in different ways. “
Suzy and Daniel Smith, owners of Bellaby Jewelry, said: “We’ve done a great job as a team in our personal lives for over a decade and we were confident that this would be true in business too – and we were right! We like that working together doesn’t feel like hard work, our strengths complement each other perfectly, and we know how to use them for business benefits. “
Ben Law, head of GoDaddy in the UK and Ireland, said: “Through our extensive experience empowering entrepreneurs on a daily basis, we know that microbusiness owners have a deep passion for the companies they run. However, it is gratifying to see that small business owners can also find love with their partners and these relationships can be much stronger than the national average. It seems like couples are paying attention to each other, they’re really living together. “
Leave a Reply